Sort or Search in Browse window are case-insensitive for Latin alphabet, but case-sensitive for other alphabet (Cyrillic)

I actually prefer the case-sensitive behavior. But anyways, it’s inconsistent. I didn’t try it with the Greek alphabet, or any other writing system that has uppercase and lowercase.

• Term:auf* deck:German
  • Term:Auf* deck:German

Aufgabe
aufhören
Aufzug

• Term:австр* deck:Russian

австралиец
австриец

• Term:Австр* deck:Russian

Австралия
Австрия

• (Term:Австр* OR Term:австр*) deck:Russian

Австралия
Австрия
австралиец
австриец

1 Like

This issue has been bothering me for a while too. It definitely affects Russian letters, but I’m not sure about other Cyrillic alphabets.

Anki uses SQLite’s ‘like’ and ‘collate nocase’ features, which are fast, but not Unicode-aware, so they only work with the Latin alphabet. For searches, using a re: search will opt-in to the slower Unicode case matching.

A separate issue, but in the same vein: in the sidebar, searches are case-insensitive when using the Sidebar Filter, but when it comes to sorting, Saved Searches are sorted in a case-sensitive way (all the capitalized names come first), while Note Types and Tags are sorted in a case-insensitive way. (And other sidebar sections like Decks have a predefined or user-defined order rather than alphabetical.)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.