Selecting 'Options' or 'Preferences' throws an error

I am using Anki on Ubuntu 22.04. When trying to change the deck options or ‘Preferences’ under the ‘Tools’ menu, I get a persistent error message. I have restarted Anki holding shift and I have also re-installed Anki, the problem remains.

This is the error message I get when starting Anki with the shift button held down:

Error
An error occurred. Please use Tools > Check Database to see if that fixes the problem.
If problems persist, please report the problem on our support site. Please copy and paste the information below into your report.
Anki 2.1.15 (442df9d6) Python 3.10.6 Qt 5.15.3 PyQt 5.15.6
Platform: Linux
Flags: frz=False ao=False sv=1

Caught exception:
File “/usr/share/anki/aqt/main.py”, line 882, in onPrefs
aqt.dialogs.open(“Preferences”, self)
File “/usr/share/anki/aqt/init.py”, line 82, in open
instance = creator(*args)
File “/usr/share/anki/aqt/preferences.py”, line 25, in init
self.setupCollection()
File “/usr/share/anki/aqt/preferences.py”, line 80, in setupCollection
f.lrnCutoff.setValue(qc[‘collapseTime’]/60.0)
<class ‘TypeError’>: setValue(self, int): argument 1 has unexpected type ‘float’

And this is what I get when I start Anki without holding shift:

Error
An error occurred. Please start Anki while holding down the shift key, which will temporarily disable the add-ons you have installed.
If the issue only occurs when add-ons are enabled, please use the Tools>Add-ons menu item to disable some add-ons and restart Anki, repeating until you discover the add-on that is causing the problem.
When you’ve discovered the add-on that is causing the problem, please report the issue on the add-ons section of our support site.
Debug info:
Anki 2.1.15 (442df9d6) Python 3.10.6 Qt 5.15.3 PyQt 5.15.6
Platform: Linux
Flags: frz=False ao=True sv=1

Caught exception:
File “/usr/share/anki/aqt/deckbrowser.py”, line 213, in
a.triggered.connect(lambda b, did=did: self._options(did))
File “/usr/share/anki/aqt/deckbrowser.py”, line 242, in _options
self.mw.onDeckConf()
File “/usr/share/anki/aqt/main.py”, line 869, in onDeckConf
aqt.deckconf.DeckConf(self, deck)
File “/usr/share/anki/aqt/deckconf.py”, line 25, in init
self.setupConfs()
File “/usr/share/anki/aqt/deckconf.py”, line 49, in setupConfs
self.loadConfs()
File “/usr/share/anki/aqt/deckconf.py”, line 66, in loadConfs
self.onConfChange(startOn)
File “/usr/share/anki/aqt/deckconf.py”, line 89, in onConfChange
self.loadConf()
File “/usr/share/anki/aqt/deckconf.py”, line 175, in loadConf
f.lrnFactor.setValue(c[‘initialFactor’]/10.0)
<class ‘TypeError’>: setValue(self, int): argument 1 has unexpected type ‘float’

Definitely a problem, as I want to change the ‘New Cards’ limit, and it seems like this hinders me from doing so.

This problem emerged over the last few weeks several times for users running Anki 2.1.15. This version is three years old. Please update to a more recent version of Anki (https://apps.ankiweb.net/), this has solved this issue for other users. Please note that package managers often provide outdated Anki versions (I am saying this because every report of this problem I can remember occurred on Linux).

4 Likes

Aha! Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.