Resizing images

Hello. Often, when I insert images onto cards, I find that they are not the idea size, so I resize them.

In the past, I used the add-on Resize images in editor, which I really liked. I could resize an image just by dragging an edge. However, this add-on does not work as of version 2.1.41. The author has said on the add-on’s GitHub page that recent changes to Anki have made it complex to get the add-on working, so he may not be able to do it.

As a work-around, I have been using the Image Style Editor add-on. However, this is not ideal. Resizing an image requires several clicks and typing a number.

Would it be possible for the ability to resize images by clicking & dragging to be incorporated into Anki?

3 Likes

I fully agree that this should land natively in Anki. I’ve been meaning to implement this, and it’s on my list (together with a couple other things).

3 Likes

Great, thank you :slight_smile:

Could you help me understand why specifying a cap on maximum width/height for all images is not sufficient? The idea behind card templates is you define the general style you want so you don’t need to mess with it for each card.

2 Likes

Hi Damien, thanks for the reply. And thanks for your work on Anki, I really like the recent improvements.

My answer is, the ideal size for the image often depends on what the image is. In example 1, the image on the front needs to be fairly small (or it would look silly), and the image on the back needs to be large (so you can read the text).

I often resize images with text in, so the font is the right size (as in example 2). But it’s a different amount of resizing, depending on the image itself.

Does that make sense? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, appreciate you taking the time to elaborate.

For me, this is also essential. One of the best Anki add-ons as it saves a lot of time. You don’t need to worry about the size of your image, you just need to paste it, drag it until you get the ideal size and voila, ready in 3 seconds.

1 Like

Agreed. @Hengiesel, is there any update about this? :slightly_smiling_face:

I have not yet started implementing it, but it is quite far up in the priority list. I’ll let you know here, once we have something to show for :slight_smile:

It could cut down server costs if the image resizer optimizes the img, similar to imgr bot on github. Just an idea.