2.1.50 images in editor too small

Hi,
I updated to 2.1.50 today.

I have noticed something that’s a bit annoying.

Imagines in my editor are very small, and to get them back to normal size requires hovering over the bottom right of the image and pressing the “Toggle actual image size” popup menu.

The reasons this is annoying is

• it makes it difficult to read an image on Anki editor and e.g. be googling things from the image (e.g. when making lecture note cards) → as changing windows from Anki editor reduces the image back to unreadable size again
  • it makes it difficult to have the image in one field and then write stuff (based on the image) in another field → as pressing away from the field reduces the image to unreadable size again

I have tried this in safe mode to ensure it wasn’t an addon issue , and the issue is still appearing.

Please see attached image to show what I mean

Thank you

2 Likes

That’s because it’s not a bug, but a feature :stuck_out_tongue:

Requiring the full size seemed like an edge-case, so images now have a default max-height in the editor to prevent them from bloating the fields too much. There was an add-on that did the same thing in the past: Maximum image height and width in card editor.

The difference is that it allowed users to configure that value easily. I’m all for allowing users to customize this behaviour (or maybe even turning off the resize handle entirely) with an option in the preferences. Perhaps editor-specific options should get their own tab there.

6 Likes

Thank you for the reply and information :slight_smile:

I would love if there was a configuration option.

1 Like

@Feldspar
In case you didn’t notice: double-clicking also changes the size of the image.

In both cases you mention as annoying, they end up with the behavior, that the Anki editor changes the size back to small automatically.
Do you think if this behavior was changed to “stay same size, even when changing fields/windows”, it would make this feature better?

@kleinerpirat

I’m all for allowing users to customize this behaviour (or maybe even turning off the resize handle entirely) with an option in the preferences. Perhaps editor-specific options should get their own tab there.

Im also all for configurability, but I think this would need to be a note type setting, if not even a field setting. This could be made configurable through CSS even.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply.

1. That is useful (double clicking) and will save me some time. Wasn’t aware of that.

2. Yes I definitely think it would be far better if it stays the same size when changing fields/windows. My current option when changing windows/fields (e.g. as mentioned above, if googling a part of a lecture slide) is pasting the image in a different program (e.g. word, MS Paint) so that I can read it at full size whilst editing/making my card.

This is especially an issue when using a pre-made anki deck (which is often the case in medical school for example). The pre-made anki deck might have an image of a certain topic - but parts of what are in the image may be things I do not yet understand/have not yet learnt - and so the card requires additional info (i.e. personalising with info I get from google). But having the card revert to small each time makes this very difficult.

However, I would MUCH still prefer an option to turn the feature (automatically making it small) off completely so that I could use it as I have been in 2.1.49 without having to go through the additional steps.

2 Likes

Generally saying, having a lot of images with text on your Anki notes is somewhat of a bad idea: It makes your notes harder to search. It might be worth it to research OCR or making more cards focusing on smaller parts of one page.

A feature to turn it off is very possible, and would come in a feature update.

2 Likes

That’s very true! That’s actually part of the issue.

As in I usually copy in the lecture note (to have the original lecture note as reference at the bottom) and then turn them into text (to be able to search it and edit the wording over time).

Although I can’t completely get away from images (e.g. for subjects like anatomy).

A feature to turn it off is very possible, and would come in a feature update.

Can’t wait! For now I am getting by with the double click someone mentioned above.

1 Like

I would also like to turn this feature off or increase the size of the miniature – either globally or on a note-type or field basis. I feel like it is useful for photos and drawings, but counterproductive for tables, graphics and such.

It becomes too small for me to identify what information the picture conveys.

Plus, the resizer is results in Anki freezing for me.

AnkiOCR makes image text searchable.

I agree that if you only have text, it should be pasted as text. However, this destroys any diagrams, graphic elements and relationships and so on. In these cases, I prefer to paste it as an image.

Do you know about this feature in 2.1.55?

5 Likes

:exploding_head: I didn’t! Thank you very much!

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Anki 2.1.55 Beta 3+