Problems with Ubuntu 24.04 overcome?

The Installing & Upgrading Anki on Linux page says:

If you’re on Ubuntu 24.04, please see this thread.

However, installing Anki (anki-24.04.1-linux-qt6.tar.zst) on a fresh install of (the finally released) Ubuntu 24.04, I see no problems. Anki runs as expected. This is the output from running (and manually closing) Anki on my recent install:

pinnerup@ergi:~/Downloads$ anki
Anki starting...
Initial setup...
Preparing to run...
Qt warning: QGuiApplication::setDesktopFileName: the specified desktop file name ends with .desktop. For compatibility reasons, the .desktop suffix will be removed. Please specify a desktop file name without .desktop suffix 
2024-04-28 01:06:59,387:INFO:aqt.mediasrv: Serving on http://127.0.0.1:32971
Starting main loop...
2024-04-28 01:07:02,081:WARNING:waitress: unhandled close event

Therefore, whatever issue caused Anki to core dump on earlier (beta?) versions of Ubuntu 24.04 may have been overcome, so there might no longer be good reason to instruct people to run the given command, unless they’re having persistent problems.

3 Likes

Hi!

I agree, that problem I had with daily build (not even alpha =) ) of Ubuntu 24.04 seems gone. I did not check particularly Anki, however similar problem with Zoom, for example, gone so I expect Anki also will work without any problems

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up; I’ve added a qualifier to that sentence.

1 Like

Can you detail the steps you took to have it install on Ubuntu?

I tried Ubuntu on WSL and ended up with this build error Need support for building / packaging - #10 by ojchris

I want to attempt on a direct Ubuntu virtual machine.

I did only what’s lined out on the install page (linked above). That is to say:

I downloaded anki-24.04.1-linux-qt6.tar.zst to ~/Downloads.

I ran sudo apt install libxcb-xinerama0 libxcb-cursor0 libnss3 to install the required libraries.

I ran the following commands as given on the install page:

tar xaf Downloads/anki-24.04.1-linux-qt6.tar.zst
cd anki-24.04.1-linux-qt6
sudo ./install.sh

And then I simply typed anki to run the program.

1 Like

Oh I see you meant installing the packaged version. I have no problem with that. I am trying to setup the web version source on github GitHub - ankitects/anki: Anki's shared backend and web components, and the Qt frontend to make development contribution.

If you get stuck after following the guide in docs/, please create a new thread.

Noted. Thanks.