Problems with Anki 2.1.50 (Beta 5)

I would like to tell you about the inconveniences after using the beta version of Anki 2.1.50 (Beta 5).

When Anki 2.1.50 beta version (Beta 5) was installed, zoom function was added. As a result of using it, I found the following problem.

1. Anki 2.1.50 beta version zoom function was very slow.
    (The sensitivity of the Anki zoom addon is much faster and better.)

2. The keyboard shortcut function of Anki 2.1.50 beta version zoom is poor. (I couldn’t zoom in and out with the ctrl ± keyboard shortcut.)

3. Anki 2.1.50 beta version could not see the percentage of zoom. (Anki zoom addon shows the percentage of zoom in the lower left corner.)

4. Awesome tts addon does not work in Anki 2.1.50 beta.
    (Personally, I wish the tts function was added as a basic function.)

It would be great if the above problems could be improved.

I always care and love Anki.

I hope you can reply.

ps. And when will Anki 2.1.50 be released approximately?

1. How do you zoom? Do you click the menu action? The sensitivity is adjustable, but I would think most people use a mouse or trackpad anway.
  2. The shortcuts had to be removed because they were conflicting with existing ones. Part of the problem are different keyboard layouts: Ctrl++ is the same as Ctrl+Shift+= on English keyboards e.g.
  3. Might be possible to add this. What is your use case for this?
  4. I think there is a sucessor: HyperTTS - Add speech to your flashcards - AnkiWeb

First of all, thank you so much for your kind and detailed reply.

When I use the zoom, I mainly use it as a mouse and laptop pad.
When using the anki zoom addon, the sensitivity was good to use, but the sensitivity of the new beta version was too slow.

In addition, it was not intuitive because the percentage did not show how much zoom was done.

The last problem I found is that I can’t go back. I pressed the answer button by mistake and want to go back to the previous question, but the ctrl+z shortcut doesn’t work.

I think the back shortcut key is absolutely necessary.

Could you please update this part?

As a result of just retesting, the back function works, but sometimes the CTRL+Z shortcut doesn’t seem to work. It looks like it needs a little modification.

Next, the review heatmap addon doesn’t work properly in the beta version, is there something to replace it?
It is too cumbersome to check the statistics.

When you say “sensitivity”, do you mean that you want ctrl+scrollwheel to make bigger size changes each time the mouse wheel moves a little?

You are exactly right. Currently, if you use ctrl + scroll wheel, it is changed to a too small size.

The anki zoom addon has just the right sensitivity, and I agree with it because a lot of people use it.

Also, the keyboard shortcut function of Anki 2.1.50 beta zoom is not good. (You couldn’t zoom in/out with ctrl ± keyboard shortcuts.)

If it is not possible because of the existing shortcut key, why not set it as a shift± shortcut key?

Finally, Anki 2.1.50 beta doesn’t see the zoom ratio. (Anki zoom addon shows zoom ratio in bottom left corner.)
The zoom ratio increases the user’s intuition.

It works well for me, and I’m not aware of any way to customise this.

Because these keys are already established as shortcuts for other actions.

So what do you think is the appropriate shortcut?
I’d appreciate it if you could apply that.

One use case for a zoom indicator (while zooming, not constantly of course) is ensuring a consistent look for video tutorials. One might want to use the zoom feature instead of global UI scaling for faster/easier adjustment, but use the exact same increments for multiple videos.

The appropriate shortcuts are as you said, but they are unfortunately not available anymore.

That sounds rather niche, but thanks for the example. I was just curious, and wouldn’t have anything against such a hint.

I’ll answer your question here. It’s hard to keep track if things are discussed in multiple threads at once.

Zoom sensitivity seems fine for me if I use a mouse or a trackpad. And unlike the zoom increments of the menu action, it doesn’t seem trivial to customise this sensitivity.

Can you give it a try on your laptop’s touchpad? Personalizing the zoom sensitivity is difficult, but I don’t think increasing the sensitivity is a difficult problem.

On a laptop touchpad, the zoom sensitivity is too small, so I would like to raise it even a little.

I’ve been testing this feature for a really long time, so I’m asking again.