JsonError("expected value at line 1 column 2") | Import of .apkg file failed

I am currently writing a web app that lets you create flash cards on the fly. In order to create these I manually create a .apkg file. Unfortunately the imports fails due to a JSON error:

anki.errors.LocalizedError: JsonError("expected value at line 1 column 2")

Even after continuous effort I was not able to trace down where the error stems from. I copied the model, decks, conf and dconf JSON objects from an existing deck that uses the same model as the web app. I do not have media files and thus set the contents of the media file to {}.

Please see the JSON objects in question:

Summary

`
const conf = {“collapseTime”:1200,“_deck_0_lastNotetype”:1657413686850,“schedVer”:2,“newSpread”:0,“curDeck”:1,“activeDecks”:[1],“dueCounts”:true,“nextPos”:2,“estTimes”:true,“timeLim”:0,“sortBackwards”:false,“creationOffset”:-540,“_nt_1657413686850_lastDeck”:0,“sortType”:“noteFld”,“dayLearnFirst”:false,“curModel”:1657413686850,“addToCur”:true}

const model = {“1657413686850”:{“id”:1657413686850,“name”:“Basic”,“type”:0,“mod”:0,“usn”:0,“sortf”:0,“did”:null,“tmpls”:[{“name”:“Card 1”,“ord”:0,“qfmt”:“{{Front}}”,“afmt”:“{{FrontSide}}\n\n

\n\n{{Back}}”,“bqfmt”:“”,“bafmt”:“”,“did”:null,“bfont”:“”,“bsize”:0}],“flds”:[{“name”:“Front”,“ord”:0,“sticky”:false,“rtl”:false,“font”:“Arial”,“size”:20,“description”:“”},{“name”:“Back”,“ord”:1,“sticky”:false,“rtl”:false,“font”:“Arial”,“size”:20,“description”:“”}],“css”:“.card {\n font-family: arial;\n font-size: 20px;\n text-align: center;\n color: black;\n background-color: white;\n}\n”,“latexPre”:“\documentclass[12pt]{article}\n\special{papersize=3in,5in}\n\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}\n\usepackage{amssymb,amsmath}\n\pagestyle{empty}\n\setlength{\parindent}{0in}\n\begin{document}\n”,“latexPost”:“\end{document}”,“latexsvg”:false,“req”:[[0,“any”,[0]]]},“1657413686854”:{“id”:1657413686854,“name”:“Cloze”,“type”:1,“mod”:0,“usn”:0,“sortf”:0,“did”:null,“tmpls”:[{“name”:“Cloze”,“ord”:0,“qfmt”:“{{cloze:Text}}”,“afmt”:“{{cloze:Text}}
\n{{Back Extra}}”,“bqfmt”:“”,“bafmt”:“”,“did”:null,“bfont”:“”,“bsize”:0}],“flds”:[{“name”:“Text”,“ord”:0,“sticky”:false,“rtl”:false,“font”:“Arial”,“size”:20,“description”:“”},{“name”:“Back Extra”,“ord”:1,“sticky”:false,“rtl”:false,“font”:“Arial”,“size”:20,“description”:“”}],“css”:“.card {\n font-family: arial;\n font-size: 20px;\n text-align: center;\n color: black;\n background-color: white;\n}\n.cloze {\n font-weight: bold;\n color: blue;\n}\n.nightMode .cloze {\n color: lightblue;\n}\n”,“latexPre”:“\documentclass[12pt]{article}\n\special{papersize=3in,5in}\n\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}\n\usepackage{amssymb,amsmath}\n\pagestyle{empty}\n\setlength{\parindent}{0in}\n\begin{document}\n”,“latexPost”:“\end{document}”,“latexsvg”:false,“req”:[[0,“any”,[0]]]},“1657413686852”:{“id”:1657413686852,“name”:“Basic (optional reversed card)”,“type”:0,“mod”:0,“usn”:0,“sortf”:0,“did”:null,“tmpls”:[{“name”:“Card 1”,“ord”:0,“qfmt”:“{{Front}}”,“afmt”:“{{FrontSide}}\n\n
\n\n{{Back}}”,“bqfmt”:“”,“bafmt”:“”,“did”:null,“bfont”:“”,“bsize”:0},{“name”:“Card 2”,“ord”:1,“qfmt”:“{{#Add Reverse}}{{Back}}{{/Add Reverse}}”,“afmt”:“{{FrontSide}}\n\n
\n\n{{Front}}”,“bqfmt”:“”,“bafmt”:“”,“did”:null,“bfont”:“”,“bsize”:0}],“flds”:[{“name”:“Front”,“ord”:0,“sticky”:false,“rtl”:false,“font”:“Arial”,“size”:20,“description”:“”},{“name”:“Back”,“ord”:1,“sticky”:false,“rtl”:false,“font”:“Arial”,“size”:20,“description”:“”},{“name”:“Add Reverse”,“ord”:2,“sticky”:false,“rtl”:false,“font”:“Arial”,“size”:20,“description”:“”}],“css”:“.card {\n font-family: arial;\n font-size: 20px;\n text-align: center;\n color: black;\n background-color: white;\n}\n”,“latexPre”:“\documentclass[12pt]{article}\n\special{papersize=3in,5in}\n\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}\n\usepackage{amssymb,amsmath}\n\pagestyle{empty}\n\setlength{\parindent}{0in}\n\begin{document}\n”,“latexPost”:“\end{document}”,“latexsvg”:false,“req”:[[0,“any”,[0]],[1,“all”,[1,2]]]},“1657413686851”:{“id”:1657413686851,“name”:“Basic (and reversed card)”,“type”:0,“mod”:0,“usn”:0,“sortf”:0,“did”:null,“tmpls”:[{“name”:“Card 1”,“ord”:0,“qfmt”:“{{Front}}”,“afmt”:“{{FrontSide}}\n\n
\n\n{{Back}}”,“bqfmt”:“”,“bafmt”:“”,“did”:null,“bfont”:“”,“bsize”:0},{“name”:“Card 2”,“ord”:1,“qfmt”:“{{Back}}”,“afmt”:“{{FrontSide}}\n\n
\n\n{{Front}}”,“bqfmt”:“”,“bafmt”:“”,“did”:null,“bfont”:“”,“bsize”:0}],“flds”:[{“name”:“Front”,“ord”:0,“sticky”:false,“rtl”:false,“font”:“Arial”,“size”:20,“description”:“”},{“name”:“Back”,“ord”:1,“sticky”:false,“rtl”:false,“font”:“Arial”,“size”:20,“description”:“”}],“css”:“.card {\n font-family: arial;\n font-size: 20px;\n text-align: center;\n color: black;\n background-color: white;\n}\n”,“latexPre”:“\documentclass[12pt]{article}\n\special{papersize=3in,5in}\n\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}\n\usepackage{amssymb,amsmath}\n\pagestyle{empty}\n\setlength{\parindent}{0in}\n\begin{document}\n”,“latexPost”:“\end{document}”,“latexsvg”:false,“req”:[[0,“any”,[0]],[1,“any”,[1]]]},“1657413686853”:{“id”:1657413686853,“name”:“Basic (type in the answer)”,“type”:0,“mod”:0,“usn”:0,“sortf”:0,“did”:null,“tmpls”:[{“name”:“Card 1”,“ord”:0,“qfmt”:“{{Front}}\n\n{{type:Back}}”,“afmt”:“{{Front}}\n\n
\n\n{{type:Back}}”,“bqfmt”:“”,“bafmt”:“”,“did”:null,“bfont”:“”,“bsize”:0}],“flds”:[{“name”:“Front”,“ord”:0,“sticky”:false,“rtl”:false,“font”:“Arial”,“size”:20,“description”:“”},{“name”:“Back”,“ord”:1,“sticky”:false,“rtl”:false,“font”:“Arial”,“size”:20,“description”:“”}],“css”:“.card {\n font-family: arial;\n font-size: 20px;\n text-align: center;\n color: black;\n background-color: white;\n}\n”,“latexPre”:“\documentclass[12pt]{article}\n\special{papersize=3in,5in}\n\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}\n\usepackage{amssymb,amsmath}\n\pagestyle{empty}\n\setlength{\parindent}{0in}\n\begin{document}\n”,“latexPost”:“\end{document}”,“latexsvg”:false,“req”:[[0,“any”,[0,1]]]}}

const deck = {“1”:{“id”:1,“mod”:0,“name”:“Default”,“usn”:0,“lrnToday”:[0,0],“revToday”:[0,0],“newToday”:[0,0],“timeToday”:[0,0],“collapsed”:true,“browserCollapsed”:true,“desc”:“”,“dyn”:0,“conf”:1,“extendNew”:0,“extendRev”:0}}

const dconf = {“1”:{“id”:1,“mod”:0,“name”:“Default”,“usn”:0,“maxTaken”:60,“autoplay”:true,“timer”:0,“replayq”:true,“new”:{“bury”:false,“delays”:[1.0,10.0],“initialFactor”:2500,“ints”:[1,4,0],“order”:1,“perDay”:20},“rev”:{“bury”:false,“ease4”:1.3,“ivlFct”:1.0,“maxIvl”:36500,“perDay”:200,“hardFactor”:1.2},“lapse”:{“delays”:[10.0],“leechAction”:1,“leechFails”:8,“minInt”:1,“mult”:0.0},“dyn”:false,“newMix”:0,“newPerDayMinimum”:0,“interdayLearningMix”:0,“reviewOrder”:0,“newSortOrder”:0,“newGatherPriority”:0,“buryInterdayLearning”:false}}
`

Due to some html and JS usage these are quite convoluted and I suggest you view them in a text editor or an online JSON formatter.

As always thanks in advance!

apkg files were not intended to be created by external programs, and their format is not documented. In the future we’d like to provide a more open format that is easier to write, but at the moment, the only alternative is .csv files

1 Like

Hi Damien thanks for the reply! I think the lack of documentation is a problem but it’s at least partially addressed by AnkiDroid etc. My problem was simply that I did not follow the database schema due to a typo.
One suggestion that I have tough: It would be of great help if db errors would at least specify in which db column and line the error occurred.
Anyway thanks for the great work!

For the record: My problem was only that I included bases at the beginning of the string that composes the tags column (Thus the mentioning of column 2 in the error description).