Issue with Keyboard hotkeys on iPadOS

The issue: The hotkeys on the review screen stop working, the moment a “click” is executed with the trackpad. This has not been an issue before.

the buttons that i very frequently use: Cmd+Z, E, R, D, A, B, 1234 all lose their function now.
it seems that only the “spacebar” key still works.

here is a video showing the issue. Anki Forum example video - YouTube
(Note that moving the trackpad-cursor doesn’t cause the issue. only a “press”.)

• I also connected a bluetooth mouse for testing. Same issue here. A “mouse-click” causes the majority of hotkeys to be disabled as well.

This problem could be related to the new iPadOS15.0.1 update, since i think it worked fine yesterday . (I updated today). Not sure if Anki also did an upate.

I really hope this gets fixed soon, as it is mandatory in my workflow to tab and copy the words into my clipboard, as well as it is mandatory to click into into the window to make it the active window in split-screen multi-tasking. (i am frequently switching between apps and dictionaries.)

Thanks for the report, I’ll look into this.

Thank you very much for your time.
If any further info is needed, or if you need anything else, feel free to ask.

further info:

• the issue remains even when anki is minimized (home-screen and back / other app etc.)
  • as well as also remaining when the iPad goes into sleep mode and back.
  • in other words, the Problem is only reset/fixed after the “review” is exited once. (which is btw also not possible via “D” shortcut… very frustrating. xd)

is there perhaps any info about the state of things on this? Is it likely to remain in this state for a while? If I know that the issue will remain for a longer period, then I have to think of ways how to change my editing process, or perhaps switch to a different device. In it’s current state, it feels really terrible to edit cards on iPad.

Also, I haven’t even asked, if this happens to everybody or not.

I would really appreciate if others could say if they have, or don’t have this issue.

yet another update / thing i noticed:
the shortcut-keys aren’t working on the keyboard… however, they are still working when the “cmd” key is held down, and then the hotkey is selected by tapping on it that menu.

so only the short-cuts don’t work via keyboard, but still within the software

This appears to be a change in behaviour in iOS 15. I’ve added a workaround and sent a beta to Apple; it should be ready to test in approximately 24 hours. I’d appreciate it if you could give it a go and confirm it’s fixed the problem for you: Beta Testing - AnkiMobile Manual

I have used it for todays editing, and I have not encountered any issues or follow-up bugs so far. Seems to work smooth!

Thank you very much.

Great, thanks for letting me know.