Is there a way to have multiple "fronts" to a card?

Sometimes I want to learn a general concept instead of a specific fact.

For instance, suppose I want to learn the “power rule” from calculus. I’ll make a card asking what the power rule is, or asking how to take the derivative of something taken to a power.

But I also want to actually practice doing it.

I might make some flash cards that have specific “take the derivative of this power of x” problems. But I don’t want to memorize the answers to the problem, so that when the card comes up, I immediately know what the answer is, from the last time I solved it. I want to forget the details of the problem, and be reviewing the more abstract thing of how to solve this kind of problem.

So what would be great is if I could make a card that had 10 different power-rule problems, and every time the card comes up in my review, it randomly selects one of those problems to practice.

(I could make a different card for each problem, but I want anki to be tracking my level of comfort for all problems of this type: if solving one problem like this was easy, I want it to wait a longer time before it shows me another one like it.)

Or to take another example: Suppose that I want to study body language in anki. The front of a card has a short video clip of someone displaying a behavioral cue, and the back says what that cue means.

I don’t want to overfit to the specific video specific clip, so that as soon as I see the first frame, I remember what was about. I want to learn to recognize that cue in a bunch of different contexts and variations.

So it would be great if I could make a card that had 10 short video clips of the behavioral cue, and when that card comes up, one of them is randomly selected to play. That way I don’t learn a connection between that particular video and the meaning, I learn the connection between a cue, in a bunch of contexts, and the meaning.

Is there a standard way to do this, to make a card that has several “fronts”, only one of which is randomly selected? Maybe there an addon for something like this?

A similar sort of problem arises when learning languages.

I think that in future it would be neat to have the ability to hook an AI engine into constructing the question to ask to test a particular fact. Maybe not quite there yet, but I doubt the day is so far off so I hope that being able to have some sort of question generator when a card is displayed gets added as a feature request for future Anki versions.

What you describe requires some template scripting or add-ons, but it’s not very complicated to do. Maybe if you post a sample card someone will help implement the idea.

1 Like

Ok, I’ll keep you posted. In the meantime, is there documentation for how to do this somewhere?

You can persist javascript state from the frontside to the backside: GitHub - SimonLammer/anki-persistence: Persist data between both sides of an anki flashcard.

I haven’t done this myself, but at least for simple problems it should be possible to generate constrained problems randomly, then dynamically calculate the solution on the backside.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.