Index notes externally

I wonder if it can be made possible to index cards in a search program like DocFetcher.

I remember reading that an .apkg file is just a .zip file with a different filetype extension. In DocFetcher, it is possible to specify the filetype extensions that should be regarded as archives (such as .zip).

I have renamed a .apkg file and a .colpkg file to .zip. Both contain a file named “collection.anki2” and a file named “media”.

I then extracted the .anki2 file from the .zip directory and renamed it to .zip. This however is not a valid .zip.

This means that Anki collections are not easily searchable with DocFetcher.

Is there any way how it is possible to index and search through an Anki collection with an external program?

I doubt that there’s a software for this at the moment.

External search tools like DocFetcher or Recoll need to know how the anki database works so that they can meaningfully index it. So someone would have to program/write a small tool (filter).

possible workaround: There are several print or export plugins. Maybe one of those can be used so that you have something the search tool understands?

if you like the command line: Maybe have a look at ankiconnect that has findNotes and notesInfo that you could built into a custom command line search script. There are also some command line scripts that can modify or query the anki database on github.

2 Likes

dream come true, for linuxers

1 Like

althought i myself understand some python,

i don’t know why the author only provide this in the form for linux.

python runs on windows too, and that python script should run on windows too.

but hacking this is not my priority, let’s see if someone could try in windows.

thanks

pls feedback us on it’s possibility if you finally got it, esp on windows.
thanks

I don’t know any programming, so unfortunately I can’t make it.

I tried to run IndexableAnki on Windows. I was unable to pip install pandas because

ERROR: Failed building wheel for numpy
      Failed to build numpy
      ERROR: Could not build wheels for numpy, which is required to install pyproject.toml-based projects
      [end of output]

note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a problem with pip.
error: subprocess-exited-with-error

× pip subprocess to install build dependencies did not run successfully.
│ exit code: 1
╰─> See above for output.

note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a problem with pip.

Perhaps it is possible to run IndexableAnki in a Linux virtual machine on Windows.

i googled well before i post it,
i looked that the libraries should available in windows.