Importing file does not work

Good morning everyone, I can no longer import files into my decks. I press the “import file” button, select the file (same extension as the files I imported in the past without problems) and when I send the command a gray page appears and there is no confirmation of the import. I have already tried to downgrade the downloaded version, but to no avail. I work with a PC running Windows 10 Pro, version 22H2. Thanks in advance for your support

See Troubleshooting - Anki Manual, Check add-ons and updating to latest are the most important steps

1 Like

Tried all the steps, but with no success. :smiling_face_with_tear:

• What’s your complete version information (from Help > About > Copy debug info)?
  • Which video drivers did you try? Did you restart after trying each one? What were the results?
  • What changed between the last time the import screen worked and now? Did you upgrade to a new version of Anki?
  • Versione ⁨23.12.1 (1a1d4d54)⁩

• Python 3.9.15 Qt 6.6.1 PyQt 6.6.1

• Qt5 and Qt6, nothing happened

• Yes, I did upgrade to the latest version (and tried to revert as well to the previous one, but with no success, again). The screen just turns grey and nothing happens.
    Thank you, Danika

@fatima2

1. What’s your complete version information (from Help > About > Copy debug info)?
  2. Try the things on the Troubleshooting Checklist.
  3. You said “redownload” – does that mean you haven’t had Anki installed on this computer before? Or that you used to have it installed on this computer and uninstalled it at some point?

.6. Can you post a screenshot of the top part of the screen that is blank? I assume it’s after the file-picker screen – but I can’t tell if it’s the import “setup” screen or the import “after-report” screen that isn’t showing up.
.7. Have you tried importing any other decks?

1. Exactly which versions have you tried?
  2. What deck are you trying to import?
  3. Can you post a screenshot of the top part of the screen that is blank? I assume it’s after the file-picker screen – but I can’t tell if it’s the import “setup” screen or the import “after-report” screen that isn’t showing up.
  4. Have you tried importing any other decks?

Hi Danika.

1. Anki 24.06.2 (33a92379) (ao)
    Python 3.9.18 Qt 5.14.2 PyQt 5.14.1
    Platform: macOS-10.15.7-x86_64-i386-64bit

===Add-ons (active)===
(add-on provided name [Add-on folder, installed at, version, is config changed])
Image Occlusion Enhanced [‘1374772155’, 2022-04-09T03:15, ‘None’, ‘’]

===IDs of active AnkiWeb add-ons===

===Add-ons (inactive)===
(add-on provided name [Add-on folder, installed at, version, is config changed])

1. I believe I’ve done the things that were on the troubleshooting list before I came onto here.

2. I have had it installed and it worked perfectly fine then. I stopped using Anki for probably a three month period. Then when I went to go start using it again, this problem started to persist, and at this point I uninstalled it and reinstalled it in an attempt to troubleshoot the problem, but it did not work.

3. Yes, I’ve tried imported other sets and I am having the same problem.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the help :slight_smile:

Here comes the import window

and the window after clicking the “import” button

I also tried to change PC and install everything from zero, but the problem persists.

Thank you for your help

[The forum text editor is not doing a good job of listening to question numbers anymore. Sorry about that.]

(2) Does that include trying the different video drivers (and restarting after each change)? Does that include “reset window sizes”?

(3) That’s good to know that it started before the upgrade to 24.06.2. Unfortunate that it’s still happening.

(5) You mentioned the name of the MCAT deck. I assumed it is a packaged deck (apkg), not a txt or csv file – is that right?

(6) Can you tell me which screen that is though (I thought they had different title bars!)? Is it the pre-import screen where you choose what options you want Anki to use during import? Or the post-import screen where Anki reports back on what it has done?

(7) The other decks you’ve tried – are they apkgs as well? Are they from different sources?

You skipped a few of my questions – and I’m adding some follow-up.

(4) Exactly which versions of Anki have you tried?

(5) What deck are you trying to import? – also: I assumed from your description, that you were importing a packaged deck (apkg), but from your screenshot, it looks like it’s a txt file, is that right? How big/long is the file (how many notes are you expecting it to create)?

(6) Thank you for the screenshots.

(7) Have you tried importing any other decks? Were they apkg or txt files?

(4) I’m using the version: Versione ⁨23.12.1 (1a1d4d54)⁩
Python 3.9.15 Qt 6.6.1 PyQt 6.6.1 and tried to go back a couple of versions
(5) I’m importing just .txt decks. The file is quite small: about 20-30 notes
(6) you’re welcome
(7) just .txt files (I imported some dozens files with no problems for more than one year).
Thank you for your support

Thank you for triaging this @Danika_Dakika. I’ve seen a few similar private reports as well, and have logged this on Blank window when attempting to import deck · Issue #3274 · ankitects/anki · GitHub. Users who are impacted by this and are comfortable with computers, please consider checking the inspector console and posting back there.

1 Like

Thanks Dae for the support. Unfortunately I am not familiar enough with the computer to work on the inspector console. In any case, I have strong doubts whether it is a problem related to the computer or its settings: I in fact tried to log in from a completely different computer to the one I use at home and I had exactly the same result. From this I deduce that it is not a problem with my home PC (which by the way has worked perfectly with dozens of .txt file imports in the past), but with some bug within the program.

Is it still an issue on 23.06.3? If so, can you share an .apkg with me privately so I can try to reproduce the issue?

Sure!

(Attachment Frasi - Setininger-20240703181401.apkg is missing)

Please use something like Google Drive, and ‘anyone with a link can view’, as the attachment didn’t work. If you don’t want the whole internet to be able to access it, please send me a private message on anki.tenderapp.com.

Hi Dae, tried to send a link (wetransfer), but the system does not allow the transferring of links. How may I send you a private message on anki.tenderapp?

Hi

1. Yes I tried different video drivers and still having the same issue.
  2. Yes, it is a packaged deck.
  3. I believe this is the pre-import screen. When I click import and click the packaged deck I would like to import, the blank import screen is popping up.
  4. thanks for your support!
  5. Yes all are apkgs and all are from different sources (via reddit).