How to package anki properly on linux distros without systemd

It seems that no non-systemd distros have recent versions of anki available in their repositories. How to package anki in a way that does not use the systemd requirement?

1 Like

You may be able to run from the Python wheels: anki/development.md at main · ankitects/anki · GitHub

I have recently started using Linux and am trying to avoid systemd. I am interested in attempting to package anki in a way that does not rely on systemd, provided that Anki continues supporting Qt5[footnote 1]. Please comment on this thread if you too are a developer interested in this undertaking.

I hope I can be forgiven for reviving this old topic, but it is the latest one dedicated to this issue and I figured doing it this way was better than creating yet another topic about systemd.

Footnotes:

1. Add-on authors are of course free to choose what they wish to support or not support, but I suspect Anki will need to keep supporting Qt5 for a while yet. The ARM Linux and no-systemd camps depend on a system-provided version of Qt, and as far as I’m aware that’s mainly/all Qt5 at the moment, so if we went Qt6-only, they would be unable to use the new releases. [source]