Error exception when trying to record

I have Anki installed on my Windows 10 computer where I do my Anki editing. I recently added a second user account on that computer with Anki installed there too. But, in the second user account, I am getting an error exception whenever I try to do a voice recording:

Error

An error occurred. Please use Tools > Check Database to see if that fixes the problem.

Anki 2.1.42 (8eebfe18) Python 3.8.6 Qt 5.14.2 PyQt 5.14.2
Platform: Windows 10
Flags: frz=True ao=False sv=2
Add-ons, last update check: 2021-03-30 08:18:43
Caught exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “aqt\webview.py”, line 36, in cmd
File “aqt\webview.py”, line 135, in _onCmd
File “aqt\webview.py”, line 580, in _onBridgeCmd
File “aqt\editor.py”, line 466, in onBridgeCmd
File “aqt\editor.py”, line 796, in onRecSound
File “aqt\sound.py”, line 799, in record_audio
File “aqt\sound.py”, line 715, in init
File “aqt\sound.py”, line 756, in _start_recording
File “aqt\sound.py”, line 567, in start
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘readyRead’

I used Tools to check the database and also checked the media. Those actions did not help. Anki on the first user account is working correctly, but not on the second user account. Anyone have ideas on how to fix this?

One Windows user profile works, and the other doesn’t? Hmm, maybe it’s an issue with permissions? Does the link on this page help? Errors when recording - Frequently Asked Questions

The plot thickens: I recently added a second monitor. With some experimentation, what I find is that the recording exception is unrelated to the user account. It occurs consistently and only when I duplicate the two displays. When I use only one display or when I extend the displays, there is no error. This occurs regardless of which user account I am on. The good new is that I can work around it. The bad new is that I really would like to duplicate the displays sometimes while editing cards in Anki. All other Anki functions work ok and no other programs have exihbited this problem.

That’s a strange one. Does it work if you change the recording driver in the preferences screen?

Now I don’t know what is going on. The error isn’t occurring now even when I duplicate the same conditions. I’ll just have to keep monitoring this. If it does reappear, at least I know how to work around it.

I was facing the same error after a windows update.
After a lot of struggle, I found that the mic is disabled.
Probably when you change screens, windows somehow toggles the audio options.
Go to control panel —> sound —> recording —> activate your mic or change the default to your mic.

1 Like