Double slash in CSS styling?

Hi,

This is the second time I see someone using a double slash in front of a font family in the styling section of a note type that came with a shared deck I downloaded. I can’t figure out what this is supposed to do and I don’t know how to edit it if I want to change the font. I tried googling it but couldn’t find an explanation. Does anyone know what this is used for?

It might be helpful to know that both decks I’ve seen this in were for Korean vocab and I believe the font Gulim also is mostly used for Korean writing.

Edit: This used to say backslash instead of slash because I confused the names of the two (English isn’t my first language).

/ is a slash, \ would be a backslash.
// is not valid CSS, however it seems to be valid comment syntax in Sass, a CSS preprocessor. Anyway, it probably happens to do the job of disabling the annotated line, because browsers (and Anki) won’t be able to recognise //font-family.
If you want to disable a line, but not delete it for whatever reason, you can use a proper CSS comment instead: /* font-family: Gulim; */.

5 Likes

Oh thanks for pointing that out haha, English isn’t my first language so I sometimes get little things like these messed up. But that might be part of the reason I couldn’t find anything when I googled backslashes. :sweat_smile:

Hm that was my first thought because it looks like comment in Java, which I am familiar with. Still not sure why the person who made this deck kept it in then but good to know definitely.

Thank you so much for your answer!

1 Like

Probably because since it looks like a comment, and has the same effect, the person who made it though it was one.

2 Likes