Copying images out of cards is hard

Frequently, it happens to me that the image I chose for a card when I created isn’t perfect and I want to edit that image.

I would expect that if I go into the card browser and right-click/copy the image, I can paste the image into paint.net to edit it. That doesn’t work given that this process doesn’t copy an image but HTML. That means that I have to first copy the HTML into Libre Office and then copy the image from there. This step feels unnecessary and I’d love to copy paste directly for which Anki would have to provide the image not as HTML but as an image to the clipboard.

2 Likes

I agree that pasting images from Anki is a bit unwieldy.

As a workaround, you could try to install this addon: Image Occlusion Enhanced - AnkiWeb
Besides its main function, it also adds an “Open image” option when you right-click an image

3 Likes

7 Likes

I have this issue too. I’m on a mac so the built-in app “Preview” can handle the image by dragging it and then dropping it onto the Preview icon. Then I can basically do whatever I want with the image. Oftentimes, I’m just resizing, then doing a Command-A to select the image, then copy-paste back into Anki.

I’m sorry I didn’t provide a working solution, I couldn’t stop laughing when reading this thread (also, I was curious about suggested workarounds…)
Are you aware that programs like pain.net do work on files, and that Anki saves images as files? In short, you don’t need to copy-paste the image to an image-editing software, and back again. You can just open the appropriate file with pain.net, and it will automatically be changed in Anki too (you may need to reload the webview for changes to visually take effect).
However, I would recommend using only this if you have quite some work to do with the image: if you just want to resize it (or similar stuff), there are add-ons that allow you to do that directly inside the Anki’s editor, which is probably the most practical for you.

I use this handy feature of Image Occlusion more than the add-on’s main function :slight_smile:

If it’s something simple, you can also edit in Anki using Image Editor - AnkiWeb

It’s not good, but it works

Not sure if this counts as necroposting but is there a solution other than the Image Occlusion add-on by now?

Try checking this add-on: https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1560623518