Changes in add-on config made through Anki not reflected in config.json

The changes to add-on config made within Anki (through GUI checkboxes or by editing config after going to Add-ons → Config) are not reflected in the config.json file in the add-on folder even after restarting Anki.

This creates confusion and unexpected behavior when some edits are made through the GUI and some by editing the config.json file in the add-on folder.

For example, if I edit a setting in the json file which was earlier edited in Anki, the edits made in the json file are not followed and old settings continue to execute.

The changes in Easy Days and Load Balancer settings were made in Anki and Anki was restarted. However, they were not reflected in the config.json file even after restart, even though Anki still shows the edited config.

I guess that this is a Windows-specific bug because L-M-Sherlock couldn’t reproduce it (he uses a Mac).

If everything from Config is supposed to be saved in config.json, then I think I’m seeing this on Windows as well.

Version ⁨23.12.1 (1a1d4d54)⁩
Python 3.9.15 Qt 6.6.1 PyQt 6.6.1
Windows 11 Pro 22H2

I just upgraded to 23.12.1 (from … 2.1.54, I think?) a couple days ago. Along with that, my HyperTTS add-on prompted for an update. Since then, all of my HyperTTS presets are inaccessible/unusable, despite appearing in several places in Anki, including Tools > Add-ons > Config (more details and screenshots: Presets not accessible after upgrade · Issue #157 · Language-Tools/anki-hyper-tts · GitHub). The config.json file is essentially blank.

That’s the expected behavior. config.json holds the default config options, while the user’s modifications are saved to meta.json. Anki actually never modifies config.json. Your changes to the file will get overwritten after add-on updates.

4 Likes

Oh good! Disregard my comment entirely then, because I also figured out what was actually wrong with the HyperTTS add-on. :sweat_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.