Can't open settings

Hello,
I can’t open the settings in the anki app, it leads to an error message (contents pasted below).
I’m on Fedora 35 on KDE Plasma.

Error 
An error occurred. Please use Tools > Check Database to see if that fixes the problem. 
If problems persist, please report the problem on our support site. Please copy and paste the information below into your report.
Anki 2.1.15 (442df9d6) Python 3.10.1 Qt 5.15.2 PyQt 5.15.6
Platform: Linux
Flags: frz=False ao=False sv=1

Caught exception:
  File "/usr/share/anki/aqt/main.py", line 881, in onPrefs
    aqt.dialogs.open("Preferences", self)
  File "/usr/share/anki/aqt/__init__.py", line 82, in open
    instance = creator(*args)
  File "/usr/share/anki/aqt/preferences.py", line 25, in __init__
    self.setupCollection()
  File "/usr/share/anki/aqt/preferences.py", line 80, in setupCollection
    f.lrnCutoff.setValue(qc['collapseTime']/60.0)
<class 'TypeError'>: setValue(self, int): argument 1 has unexpected type 'float'

2.1.15 is quite an old release. Try your luck with a more recent one.

https://apps.ankiweb.net/

5 Likes

More info: Linux Distro Packages - Anki Manual

3 Likes

Well, I’ll tell you my experience of how I solved this problem…

Right now I’m using Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS and I had downloaded Anki from within the app store itself (Pop!_Shop), which I’ll call here: store option #1.

That’s right, on Pop!_OS we have two versions of Anki.

Initially its version was in 2.1.15 (442df9d6), as well as in the version of: @obsidianical author of the post.

anki-error

In this way, following the suggestions of the commentators of the post, I downloaded the latest version from the link mentioned by: @Rumo .

The problem is that when opening anki of this “latest version” (2.1.49) so far as mentioned on the site, it presents the following situation:

That is, it did not present any option for you to browse/use the software, except for the menu on the top bar. So I decided to uninstall and try to install the version that I will call here: store option #2.

In this case it was more serious because I couldn’t even open the software, it just showed me the following information and then closed it.

Well, I decided to go back to the initial version () because still with the problem of not being able to configure my preferences, I could still manipulate and use the software. And to my surprise and delight, as a magic step when reinstalling and opening the software, it returned in version 2.1.50 (26d40c3a) with everything working normally.

Well, finally, I’m not sure what I did and how to solve this problem, even if I just accidentally installed, uninstalled and reinstalled some versions.

I leave it here. Thanks to everyone involved!