Awesome TTS: Manipulate pronunciation?

Hello,

even though I am excited about how powerful TTS has become, I would like to manipulate the pronunciation from time to time because, for example, when the intonation or stress is not quite correct.

Example: “Ihr seid Idioten.” > “You are idiots.” > “Ustedes son idiotas.”

In the German sentence, the stress is generated with TTS on the “I” in idioten.
However, the stress should be on the “o”.
Ihr seid Idioten.

Question:
Is there a way to change the emphasis?

If so, I would be grateful for any information.
Thank you, Peter El Salvador

The only way I’ve figured out how to get Awesome TTS to pronounce a word differently is by going through its Configuration → text tab → Advanced tab, and rewriting the word in a way the program will then pronounce it correctly

dear dylanmcooper,

thanks for your replay.

rewriting the word in a way the program will then pronounce it correctly

It’s exactly what I’m doing, but it’s time-consuming, especially concerning German, “manipulating” the spelling just to get the right pronunciation.

There are TTS programmes with which you can do this.
I have a few of them, some of them quite expensive.
But integrating produced audio samples in Anki is quite time-consuming.
That’s also the reason why I find the add-one Awesome TTS Plus so ingenious:
Large choice of voices, and you can do it on the fly.
English voices are acceptable.
(Flashcard Deluxe doesn’t offer add-on like Awesome TTS Plus.)

However, I may also end my foray into Anki.
I can guess what potential Anki has.
In the meantime, I am discovering more and more limitations.
Example:
I want to add a new card and what happens:
instead of existing 12 fields, only seven fields are generated for the new page / note.

What I also miss a lot in Anki:
Adding one or two more notes, pages per record
Anki offers only front- and back page.
With Flashcard Deluxe, for example, that’s no problem at all.

Don’t get me wrong.
Anki is for sure a powerful App.
When it comes to editing text, ClozeWords, manipulating drawings, Image Conclusion, etc., Anki is unbeatable in my view!
But when it comes to learn a language, my impression at the moment is:
Flashcard Deluxe or Memorion might be the better choice.

What a shame that there is no combination of Flashcard Deluxe and Anki.

Thanks, Peter El Salvador

There’s no limitation of fields that you can add, to the best of my knowledge.

I’m not sure what you mean by “record”, normally you would say something along the lines of “adding one or two more cards per note”, which is totally possible.

Hello Carsatelli,
Thank you very much for your advice.
You write:

There’s no limitation of fields that you can add, to the best of my knowledge.

Please note that my English is quite rusty and therefore my description / questions may lead to misunderstandings.
I know that I can create as many fields as I want in Anki.
What I have tried to describe is this:

An existing deck has 12 fields.

Not all fields are shown in the screenshot.
The list of fields:

When I want to add a note / card, I click on “Add” or keyboard shortcut “A”.
A new window opens to create a new note.
The annoying thing:
No longer 12 fields, but only 7 fields are displayed.

It can’t be that every time I want to add a new note, I have to add the missing fields by hand.

I’m not sure what you mean by “record”, normally you would say something along the lines of “adding one or two more cards per note”, which is totally possible.

Below is an example to better understand what I mean by this.
Very simple example:
A note consists of a front and a back.
Front side:

Back side:

Shows the translation, in this case a Spanish irregular verb, and a conjugation table.
The learner should not have to look at the conjugation table or the “hint” every time, but only when he wants to.
Also, the table is quite large.
Therefore, I want only the table to be displayed and not the other existing entries.
If I could place the conjugation table on an extra “page” - like Flashcard Delux offers - that would be nice.

If there is a solution, please let me know.

Thanks Peter El Salvador

Only 7 fields are displayed because you’re dealing with different notetypes there. If you want to have 12 fields at your disposal every time you add a note/card, you should use the same notetype previously set up with the 12 fields. You don’t need to modify the notetype every time you’re about to add notes/cards, you just need to set up a notetype that fits your goals and keep using the same one instead. From your screenshots I can see that there are two different notetypes, one with 12 fields and other with 7 fields.

That’s a feature I’d like to see implemented natively in Anki too, the ability to hide/show extra content inserted into the fields in the review window. However, there are some workarounds, like the https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1840818335 add-on by @kleinerpirat, or, if you know the ropes, you can write some JavaScript in your card template in order to hide/show some elements.

1 Like

Hello Carsatelli,

thank you for your advice. Super! You made my day.

If I had known that before, I could have saved myself a lot of time. With at least 60 new cards, I entered the missing fields by hand.

About your hint:

… if you know the ropes, you can write some JavaScript in your card template in order to hide/show some elements.

No, I don’t know, nothing about programming, even less than a cow knows how to play the piano.
When Anki has implemented this at some point, Anki will certainly become my favorite flashcard system.
Wait an see! I hope not so long.

Thanks, Peter El Salvador

1 Like

You’re welcome.