Another blank main window solution for Linux

Here’s my experience:

1. Installed on my default DE (Gnome-Wayland) and received Wayland-specific errors that
  2. Shifted DE’s and then Xorg QT6 didn’t play nice w/ my Debian 12 Gnome install for some reason. Googled solutions and then read up on QT6 to see if I met the requirements for a manual update to QT6.
  3. Decided to look into GCC as QT6 referenced it specifically in their OS requirements. Debian’s GCC release #s are different than QT’s website so I became unsure and decided against it
  4. Tried to manually install glibc as it’s listed as a requirement and my package manager didn’t show it as downloaded. I couldn’t find the the individual package, just a source package to build it but the info on the package online insinuated it was pretty standard so I decided not to risk breaking something
  5. Received a " Could not load the Qt platform plugin “xcb” in “” even though it was found error and as per Stackoverflow tried to install libxcb-xinerama0 (which unfortunately end didn’t work because the package ended up already being installed)
  6. Contemplated the second most concise/least upvoted answer on StackOverflow before deciding against it
  7. Briefly read an answer that insinuated that a virtual env in Python recreated QT and the system is potentially looking in a closed garden for a package inside of normal env, but decided against it.
  8. Tried “–DISABLE_QT5_COMPAT=1 anki”
  9. Uninstalled QT6 Anki and tried QT5
  10. Program launches on first go
  11. Blank screen that I thought would go away once I logged in and sync’d (‘Y’ shortcut to force login prompt)
  12. I was wrong. Only title bar and settings load. RTFM & forums for advice and come across 4-5 threads w/ 5-7 different solution
  13. I use “export QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS=”–no-sandbox" anki" and it does the trick
  14. I see other users having issues setting Anki desktop.file on GNOME so I would have to launch via terminal exclusively
  15. Read a thread where someone offhandly mentions they used Flatpak. I download it that way and it works instantly out of the box, making the last hour of troubleshooting completely unnecessary.

The highs and lows of being a Linux users :skull: