AnkiDroid frequently shows AnkiDroid isn't responding / crashes

Hi everyone,

I’m having a recurring problem with AnkiDroid on my Android phone. The app frequently freezes, and Android shows the “AnkiDroid isn’t responding” (ANR) message. Sometimes the app also crashes outright. I’ve attached a screenshot of the message and included my debug info.

What happens:

  • The app freezes and then Android shows “AnkiDroid isn’t responding”
  • It happens repeatedly during normal use
  • After the freeze I usually have to close the app and reopen it before it works again

What I’ve already tried:

  • Restarting the app and my phone
  • Updating AnkiDroid to the latest version
  • Clearing the cache and running Check Database

Is there anything in my debug info that explains this, or any settings I should change? I’m happy to provide more logs or try any other troubleshooting steps.

Thank you very much for your help!

Debug info:

(AnkiDroid Version = 2.25.1 (0c0a878221806c44f72e5d0259b290028661b567)  
Backend Version = 0.1.68-anki26.05 (26.05 e64c6b1aee3e8d668fb8bbe084beada8e070d985)  
Android Version = 16 (SDK 36)  
ProductFlavor = play  
Device Info = Xiaomi | Redmi | spinel | spinel_id | 2510DRA23E | mt6789  
WebView Info = [com.google.android.webview | 801003603]: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 16; 2510DRA23E Build/BP2A.250605.031.A3; wv) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/153.0.8010.36 Mobile Safari/537.36  
ACRA UUID = fdb9c004-dbfa-417f-980c-2c40f39df70f  
FSRS = 5.2.0 (Enabled: true)  
Crash Reports Enabled = true)

Try the latest 2.26.0alpha2 parallel A version from Release AnkiDroid 2.26.0alpha2 · ankidroid/Anki-Android · GitHub. It’ll act like a separate app and won’t interfere with your actual decks.

You can test your actual collection with it by exporting it (main screen → 3 dot menu → export collection with media) then importing it into this parallel A version.

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll try the 2.26.0alpha2 parallel A version with an exported copy of my collection and report back with the results.

I tested 2.26.0alpha2 parallel A with my exported collection (with media), and AnkiDroid still shows “isn’t responding”. It happens when I opening the card browser & studying.

Hopefully @David would take a look here.

You can use an older parallel A version from Releases · ankidroid/Anki-Android · GitHub as a workaround for now. Version 2.24.0 should be good.

Delete the current parallel A version and install that older parallel A version. It should still have the collection, so you won’t need to re-import.

You can sync with it if you want.

Hi, thanks both! Taking a look:

We don’t have any associated crash reports.

If you have a connected computer, it would be fantastic to get a logcat of com.ichi2.anki (or com.ichi2.anki.a for Parallel.A). Your favourite LLM should be able to guide you on how to set this debugging up, but please get in contact if you’re struggling.

I’m going to take a few estimated guesses at what the problem is today, for 2.26.0alpha3, but it would be much faster to track this down if you could provide this information.

Hi David, I posted the two log files (ANR in Settings and ANR in Reviewer) with the backtrace on the GitHub issue #22344, since I can’t attach .txt/.zip files here. Thank you!

Just a heads-up: i’m not a developer, only an ordinary ankidroid user. I used ai to help me understand the logs and put this message together, so apologies in advance if something doesn’t make sense. Happy to provide anything else you need!

You are amazing, thank you so much!