Anki 23.10 Beta 1-4

I experienced some glitches with both, Direct3D and OpenGL. Vulkan is a video driver which works for me.

Itā€™s currently unclear what cards the ā€œCompute optimal retentionā€ section is using for timing info. For instance, if I have ā€œdeck:Allā€ in ā€œOptimize FSRS weightsā€, but the preset Iā€™m changing is a ā€œparent deckā€ type preset that isnā€™t on any actual decks with cards, is it using the average completion time of all of the subdecks of ā€œdeck:allā€? all the cards in subdecks of decks with the preset? Surely not. All the cards that are just in the exact decks with that preset? (but not their subdecks?)

I ask because there are situations where a Loss Aversion of 1.00 will get me a desired retention of 0.94, but a Loss Aversion of 2.50 will get me a desired retention of 0.92. Which only makes sense if: 1. My understanding of Loss Aversion is backward. 2. There is a bug in Loss Aversion. 3. itā€™s using the timings from the preset (or current top level deck only) and not the subdecks, where I have maybe 1 or 2 accidental cards that have noisy timing data.

3 Likes

If I do other things on my computer while Anki calculates optimal weights, sometimes the GUI stops responding. It looks like frozen but after some time, when the calculation is finished, the GUI starts to respond again. It is a combination of a large collection (234,000 reviews) and an old computer.

1 Like

As I understand FSRS, the weights calculation is an important part of it. Then, ā€œcalculateā€ button shouldnā€™t be hidden in the settings. It should be visible right below the FSRS toggle.

3 Likes

Anki 23.10 Beta

While itā€™s not too late, itā€™s probably better to call the next version 2.1.67 because the last version was 2.1.66. I bet there are addons that rely on aqt.appVersion and some of them might expect the first two numbers to be 2 and 1.

Speaking of which, I wonder why the version naming convention has been suddenly changed.

5 Likes

How good is the optimization in Anki, which takes little on a CPU, compared to the optimization on Colab, which takes longer on a GPU?

Because I believe itā€™s more conventional and a lot of projects move to this type of naming scheme. Just my assumption.

1 Like

There is some info about versioning:

1 Like

This stuff is very new and still in beta. Even once a stable release is made, I suspect it will be some months before all the various kinks have been worked out. After that, we can potentially look at moving some of the FSRS options out of the advanced section, but I do not think the time to do so is now.

It uses the same search as for computing weights.

This is a big update, and itā€™s going to break some stuff. Addons that were using pointVersion() instead of doing their own version parsing will be unaffected.

2 Likes

I second to this. I have a friends that were interested in app for memory learning, but didnā€™t want to use Anki, because it was too complicated at the start.
Also, the plain grey UI is not appealing to the users, that are used to modern nice UIs. But thatā€™s a topic for a different discussion.

1 Like

Is there a reason to keep the ā€œCustom schedulingā€ field when FSRS is enabled?

I think that when built-in FSRS is enabled, this field should be hidden.

1 Like

You can still add some custom scheduling rules, on top of FSRS. There are separate functionalities so itā€™s ok to keep them both.

7 Likes

Yes, but realistically speaking, how many people will do that?

The option to do so should be there; what if someone needs to test out some extension to FSRS which is too unstable to be deployed directly into Anki?

1 Like

This is why I think that having two layouts/levels would be better, so that advanced settings and features would be available to those who need them, but not by default.

If I understand correctly, the current rationale for not doing that is that FSRS is very new and there are many kinks that need to be worked out. FSRS is intentionally placed in the advanced section so only advanced Anki users use it.

3 Likes

In this very thread there has been examples of people adding custom rules on top of FSRS already for their own ends, Iā€™m not sure why you feel such desire to make FSRS less flexible.

3 Likes

Huh, I guess I just didnā€™t notice then. My bad.

Itā€™s not that Iā€™m against having certain features, itā€™s just that I think itā€™s better to prioritize simplicity. Just to clarify, I mean simplicity of usage, not simplicity of the algorithm.

I think under " Advanced" we need ā€œSuper Advancedā€ or " Extreme Advanced".