Add notes, but not to the end of an used dek

Example:
An existing dek contains 5,000 cards.
The card 1,000 is called up.
Now I want to add a new note.
Important:
the new note should be added as a new card, but not to the end of the existing cards, but as card number 1,001.
How do I have to proceed?
Thank you.

You can use the Reposition tool to do just that. For instance, you could reposition the 1000 cards to have positions 0..999 by selecting them, checking Shift position of existing cards then Ok, then you reposition the cards you have added by setting Start position to 1000, checking Shift position of existing cards then Ok.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your quick help.

With the amount of records I want to add on the long run, I find the way you described very time consuming.
I want to modify an existing excellent dek with about 9,000 example sentences - Spanish / English.
All Spanish example sentences are set to audio by a native speaker.
I add the German translation to the existing data sets, set English and German to audio and, in addition, a conjugation table for irregular verbs in Spanish.

Example:
grafik

Unfortunately, the dek does not have cards that contain only one keyword.
I know you shouldn’t train individual vocabulary words without example sentences, but for methodological reasons I think it makes sense to train individual key words as well.

In other words, at least about 9,000 will be added on the long run.

Position (Recordnummber).
In order to find out the position of example sentence x, I have first to call up the statistics each time.
Unfortunately, there seems to be no possibility to also display the position of the record in a column in the existing list in the card administration.
(Or have I overlooked something?)

Then I have to save the newly created record, search for it and then move it.
Honestly, I find this procedure cumbersome and very time consuming.

Question:
Is there a way to insert a field in the “new record” window. “Position”?

Of course, this would only make sense if the record number were to change automatically when records are added or deleted.

The vocabulary programme I very often use - unfortunately it is only available for Windows - offers me the choice when creating a new record:
Add record at the end, at the beginning, or directly before or directly after the called record.

I would be very grateful for a less time-consuming solution suggestion.
Yours sincerely Peter, El Salvador

I think I see why you’re asking this question — but please correct me if I’m wrong. You’re trying to insert new cards as if you made them in the past so that they follow a certain logical order: that is, when someone goes through the deck, cards that should be next to each other stay next to each other.

If that’s the case, know that it’s not actually necessary for the reviewing: in the long run, it doesn’t really matter in which order the cards have been seen, as Anki will not take that into account. In fact, it’s actually a bit counter productive, to the point that Anki will actually insert a random factor when rescheduling a card to avoid it being shown alongside similar cards.

As for the browsing part, I would suggest using tags instead of position to make it easy to access logically close cards. Tags are more powerful than position, because whereas with position you can only put one card next to, at most, two other cards, and these won’t change, with tags you can expression more nuanced similarity (for instance, these two cards are both vocabulary cards, but one also includes an example whereas the other does not).
Tt makes it easier for the one who queries to precisely select which aspects of the cards they want to take into account in the query. It’s also easier for you as I don’t think Anki has any more effective way of repositioning cards, whereas it has a more robust support for tags (and some add-ons exist to complement Anki’s eventual lacks).

Also, IMO the reposition feature is not intended to be used by people creating decks, but by end users. That is, I think the main problem that repositioning tries to tackle is when a user has a deck with plenty new cards but, for some reason, has an urgency in learning a subset of these new cards (maybe because they have a test on a specific chapter, for example), so they can’t wait to just go through all of them. In that case, the user may instruct Anki in a way it will take into account that need, by letting him choose which new cards they want to learn next.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your detailed advice.

I must confess that I am not yet very famillar with Anki.
Most of my time so far has been spent modifying the excellent deck.
The deck is set up so that the vocabulary words are sorted by frequency of use in Spanish.
Example:
Spanish: Estoy tan gordo.
English: I’m so fat.
German: Ich bin so fett.
Keyword: gordo <> fat <> dick
Number of frequency of the word used in Spanish is 1560. (Field: Difficulty)

All cards should first be arranged in the order
From most commonly used words to the rarely used key word.

Now I want to add another note to the existing card.
Example:
Spanish: gordo
English: fat, big, plump
German: fett, dick, das Fett, der Speck

The newly created note should now be asked during learning, repeating nearby the example sentence mentioned (or before the assumed recordnumber xy - 1).
Or formulated differently:
the newly created note is to be shown for learning/repetition nearby the example sentence used by frequency - here number 1560.

In spreadsheet programmes like OfficeLibre I can sort a worksheet by several criteria; in my example:
First by difficulty, then by keyword.

You do write:

In fact, it’s actually a bit counter productive, to the point that Anki will actually insert a random factor when rescheduling a card to avoid it being shown alongside similar cards.

I see that a little differently.
From my point of view, a beginner should first learn the most used words and only after further progress learn the less used vocabulary.
Of course, in a certain range - for example words from 1 to 50 etc. should be shown randomly.

Question:
What do I have to do so that the deck is sorted by two criteria and shown randomly in a certain range.

Thank you, kind regards Peter, El Salvador

PS.:
I would like to upload the modified deck later, but that will take a lot of time.
Of course, I will later divide the modified deck, which will then contain about 20,000 records, into subdecks with different levels of difficulty.
The deck is primarily intended for German and English speaking volunteers who want to work in Latin America and improve their Spanish skills.
And of course it will also serve people in Latin America who want to learn English or German.

I’m afraid I don’t know a solution for this other than creating a card that has multiple prompts. But as BlackBeans already mentioned, the purpose of Anki is spaced repetition - so the algorithm determines the optimal time when to review the material. And as someone who’s learning Spanish (being at C1, I’d say I’m not doing that badly), this approach may be unituitive, but it works remarkably well.

and

Maybe you’re misunderstanding how Anki works. You can absolutely order the words by frequency, and the first time around they will be shown in that order. It’s only after this, that the words you know better will get longer intervals (and be shown less often). So if you find “gordo = dick” easier than “Estoy gordo. = Ich bin so dick.” then they won’t show up together anymore.

This, however, I think I can help you with. Sorry if I’m presuming too much about you, but as you’re saying you are relatively unfamiliar with Anki, this may help you.

Are you aware of the concept of notes and cards that Anki employs? Most importantly:

• Notes are where your information is stored
  • Notes have fields → cards display the info from these fields
  • A note can create multiple cards (or just one - your choice)
  • Cards are fully customizable and can display any combination of the information in the note

From your screenshots, I believe that you are creating a new note for every card. And then you order these notes so related ones are ‘grouped together’. Is my assumption correct?

So basically, what you could do, and what I would suggest is to create a Note type, that contains all the information for a single concept, e.g.:

Frequency: 1560 (this is the field you'll be ordering by)
Spanish: gordo
English: fat
German: fett
Spanish Example Sentence: Hijue, estoy tan gordo.
English Example Sentence: Christ, I'm so fat
German Example Sentence: Alter, bin ich fett.
Keywords: x y z 

From this, you can create any combination of cards. For instance:

Card1: Spanish - English
Card2: English - Spanish
Card3: Spanish - German
Card4: German - Spanish
Card5: English - German
Card6: German - English

And the same thing for all the example sentences. You only have to configure this once and for every subsequent note you add, Anki will automatically create the cards.

The good thing for you:

• These cards will be grouped together in the card browser automatically.
  • The first time you review them, they will be shown together (make sure to disable burying related cards).

Do you think that would work for your case? If you want, you can send me an example of what you want your cards to look like, and I can create a note type for you.

1 Like