Who gets the proceeds from the iOS version of Anki?

Hi, there is no good free version of Anki for iOS. The main one costs money, and I’m wondering because there are over 140 contributors on the github of the main Anki app, who gets these proceeds?

AnkiDroid: AnkiDroid - Open Collective (Anki Team)
AnkiMobile/web: Ankitects · GitHub

Probably have more devs, especially for the cost of maintaining the anki server, but wouldn’t dig deeper for privacy reasons even if the app is Free and Open Source

Please see Why does AnkiMobile cost more than a typical mobile app? - Frequently Asked Questions

2 Likes

Related to this:
https://faqs.ankiweb.net/why-does-ankimobile-cost-more-than-a-typical-mobile-app.html

1 Like

Well that’s helpful for context.

To me it makes more sense to release the iOS version for free, the Android version for free, the native desktop client for free, and then charge a monthly subscription cost for the connectivity aspect, which, when calculating in recurring income, would likely be higher than one-time payments of $17.50 or whatever it is one gets after the 30% app store fee on $25. Of course, that would require more work tangentially related to Anki, but would probably net the developers more income in the long-run.

1 Like

charge a monthly subscription cost for the connectivity aspect, which, when calculating in recurring income, would likely be higher than one-time payments (…) would probably net the developers more income in the long-run.

Sounds like all these Anki rip-offs on the App Store.

3 Likes

Great let’s just be self-righteous and indignant about the market, that’ll totally put food on the table for our beloved developers. Outside the small cult of people who pay for the iOS app because they want to support Anki development, who else is going to fund this thing? Scoffing at “all these Anki rip-offs” doesn’t stop them from making cash on their apps or subscription services, it just makes ya look snooty and antiquated.

I suspect @ferophila was referring to the fact that some developers prioritise extracting the maximum amount of money from people over everything else - see AnkiPro: Another ripoff Anki app for some context.

1 Like

why don’t you trademark the Anki name so people stop ripping you off? too much work?

Probably best not to discuss that publicly, as it only makes life easier for the copycats.

1 Like