Lost Cards After Update

Hii

When I updated my Anki, the new version was no longer compatible with my computer. So I redownloaded an older version, and ended up losing all my cards and preferences. They’re also gone from my Anki account online. I’ve been trying to get my last backup from right before I downloaded the update that started all this, but it hasn’t been working. Does anyone know how to get my cards/progress back?

Anki 2.1.22 (0ecc189a) Python 3.8.1 Qt 5.9.7 PyQt 5.13.2
Platform: Mac 10.16
Flags: frz=True ao=False sv=?
Add-ons, last update check: 2023-07-02 10:09:26

Caught exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “aqt/utils.py”, line 366, in accept
File “aqt/main.py”, line 307, in doOpen
File “aqt/main.py”, line 340, in _openBackup
File “aqt/main.py”, line 248, in onOpenProfile
File “aqt/main.py”, line 368, in loadProfile
File “aqt/main.py”, line 1045, in handleImport
File “aqt/importing.py”, line 384, in importFile
File “aqt/importing.py”, line 455, in setupApkgImport
File “aqt/importing.py”, line 459, in replaceWithApkg
File “aqt/main.py”, line 476, in unloadCollection
File “aqt/main.py”, line 747, in closeAllWindows
File “aqt/init.py”, line 106, in closeAll
File “aqt/main.py”, line 474, in callback
File “aqt/importing.py”, line 459, in
File “aqt/importing.py”, line 487, in _replaceWithApkg
UnicodeDecodeError: ‘utf-8’ codec can’t decode byte 0xb5 in position 1: invalid start byte

Are you sure the latest version doesn’t work on your computer? The Qt5 version of Anki should work on 10.16. If it doesn’t, what happens when you try it?

When I tried to open the updated version of the Anki app my computer will literally say “app not compatible, cannot open”

Please try downloading it again, making sure to choose the Intel version, and not the version for Apple Silicon, which will only work on newer machines.

I didn’t specifically pick an update, it popped up on my anki home screen and wanted me to update it. Do you think updating it would get my cards back?

The only way to update Anki is to download a new version from the Anki website, so I presume that’s what you’ve done. There are multiple versions listed there; please make sure you pick the Intel Qt5 one. Most likely that will work with your computer, and thus resolve your problem.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.