Installation Linux xenial on a crouton (Chromebook)

Hello everyone,
I’m not able to install Anki Deskstop 2.1 on Linux xenial on crouton on my chrombebook.
I got following error:

qt: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.

qt: This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, webgl, xcb.

Aborted (core dumped)

I would be really glad if anyone can help me further,
Thanks in advance!

Hi @Vipanaze! :wave:

Thanks for including the error message. Have you tried researching this error at all yet? If not, it would be helpful if you could do so and report back with details about the steps you’ve taken to try and solve the problem.

@ijgnd gave some good advice here 1 year ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Anki/comments/byc8c2/error_while_trying_to_run_anki_in_crouton/

2 Likes

Hi @Vipanaze, I know this is a bit late and I’m not sure if this is still an issue, but I had the same problem and was able to fix it. So I’m posting in case this is still a problem or if someone else runs into the same issue.

As mentioned in one of the forum posts linked above, the problem is probably a missing dependency.

In my case, it was libxcb-xinerama.so.0; doing an ldd of libQt5XcbQpa.so.5 will help diagnose the issue (libQt5XcbQpa.so.5 should located in /usr/local/share/anki/bin).

When I did so, it reported:

libxcb-xinerama.so.0 => not found

I’m not sure if this is an issue with how Anki is built/packaged (maybe someone more experienced could chime on the technical aspects), but after apt installing libxcb-xinerama0, Anki launches and works as expected.

Hope it helps.

Tested on:
Processor: 64 bit AMD
Anki version: 2.1.30