innerText of nodes are empty when defining functions in AnkiDroid

I think I have encountered a bug related to Javascript in AnkiDroid. I’ll present a minimal working example and as much details as possible.

Table of contents

• Behavior in Anki Desktop
    • Behavior no. 1
    • Behavior no. 2
  • Behavior in AnkiDroid
    • Behavior no. 1
    • Behavior no. 2: Reproducing the bug
  • Conclusion

Behavior in Anki Desktop

I’ve created a new profile in Anki Desktop and I created the following card.

Behavior no. 1

I modified the “Front Template” for the “Basic” notetype.

{{Front}}

<span>foo</span>

<script>
  var nodes = document.querySelectorAll('span')
  for(const node of nodes) {
    console.log(node)
    console.log(node.innerText)
    console.log(node.innerText === '')
  }
</script>

When I review the card, the innerText of the span node is is correctly printed (see screenshot below). This is expected behavior.

Behavior no. 2

I modified the “Front Template” to the following. Note that I added the function myFunction.

{{Front}}

<span>foo</span>

<script>
  function myFunction(a) {
    return a.replace(/\[[^\]]+/, 'b')
  }

var nodes = document.querySelectorAll('span')
  for(const node of nodes) {
    console.log(node)
    console.log(node.innerText)
    console.log(node.innerText === '')
  }
</script>

When I review the card, the innerText of the span node is correctly printed. This is expected behavior.

Behavior in AnkiDroid

I’ve created a new profile in AnkiDroid and I created the following card.

Behavior no. 1

In AnkiDroid, I modified the “Front Template” to the same template that was shown in the previous section “Behavior no. 1” (please see screenshot below).

When I review the card, the innerText of the span node is correctly printed. This is expected behavior. The following screenshot shows the information reported by Chrome Development Tools.

Behavior no. 2: Reproducing the bug

I added the same definition of myFunction to “Front Template”. (please see screenshot below).

When I review the card the innerText of the span node is reported to be empty (see screenshot below). To me, this is unexpected behavior.

Conclusion

In section “Behavior no. 2: Reproducing the bug”, we could see that by only adding the definition of a function myFunction, which is never called, causes some nodes are reported to have an empty innerText. To me, this is unexpected behavior.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.