Imported .colpkg deleted all existing decks

I imported .colpkg to my desktop app and it deleted all my other decks. Not sure how to recover my previous decks, which are still visible on AnkiWeb. Help pls @dae

That’s expected behavior for a colpkg – it’s an entire collection, so it won’t add itself to another collection like a deck package (apkg) does.

Fastest way to recover #1 – Edit > Undo. I’ve never tried it for a colpkg import, but it works for almost everything, and it definitely works for other imports, so it’s worth a shot! [See post below.]

Fastest way to recover #2 – Restore an automatic backup from just before the import – or a manual update if you made one before the import. You’ll lose any edits/review history that happened after that backup.

Fastest way to recover #3Force a one-way sync and download from AnkiWeb. You’ll lose any edits/review history on this device that you didn’t already sync to AnkiWeb.

(To decide between #2 and #3 – think about when you last synced, and look at the time of your most recent backup.)

To clarify, #1 is not possible, but Anki makes a backup just before importing a .colpkg file, so #2 should work.

1 Like