How do I check my deck file size?

How do I check my deck file size? I’m worried about my deck exceeding maximum limit (100MB compressed, 250MB uncompressed?).

When I export my entire collection as a apkg or colpkg file (including scheduling information, but not media), it’s around 80MB, is this the compressed size?

When I do a full sync with server, it seems to upload around 210MB.

calculating a deck size is possible by exporting it and selecting Include Media. (this is the only way that i know at least)
if you wanna know how large your whole collection is, you can go to %APPDATA%\Anki2 on windows or ~/Library/Application Support/Anki2, there you can find your media folder and you can check it’s size.

if you have problems finding those locations, you can read this part in manual:
https://docs.ankiweb.net/#/files?id=file-locations

I presume @Dai-Konde meant the collection rather than a specific deck. You are correct Dai, you appear to be sitting at 205 at the moment. 62% of your collection is taken up by the review history, so if you hit the limit in the future, exporting and removing the oldest few years will free up some space:

2 Likes

Just to add that you can also move ghost reviews i.e. reviews from deleted cards into another profile or CSV file so you can reimport them in the future. I did this and saved about 140K reviews in the revlog.

2 Likes

That is also true. For instance when I do generate an apkg file, then I create a new profile and import there the deck with scheduling data, the collection.anki2 file weights significantly more than the deck imported. That is because the apkg file is compressed.

3 Likes

Hi @dae and @guillempalausalva, thanks for the quick response!

Sorry for my lack of technical skills, but I googled for a while but couldn’t find an easy answer:

• how do I export and remove my review history?
  • can I later easily I re-import my deck review history if I want to see my long-term stats?
  • or is it just better to put all the review history in a separate database for analysis?

Whitout any programming involved, you can create a master deck and put all your decks inside it (as subdecks). Export that deck as apkg. Then import that file into a new profile. Now you don’t have the ghost reviews. You can keep the other profile as a backup. I think there are add-ons that deletes the ghost reviews, but you won’t keep them separately anywere.

The way I do it is using is using SQLite DB browser with some SQL quieries and importing/exporting as CSV file. I think video tutorial would be a better approach. I’d record it if you really want it.

Yes. That is the point :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. But I don’t think I have that many ghost reviews because I haven’t deleted many cards.

I think I just have a large review history from 10+ years of using Anki. So would it be possible to somehow remove all my review history over 5 years old? That should cut down the storage size by around half right?

In terms of storing my review history in an external database, it would be amazing if there were a video. Or even if you could just give some me pointers about what the general process is, and what tools to use I will try and educate myself.

OK. I think by the end of the week I’d have the video recorded. I’ll keep you posted. I suggest to backup your files before doing anything.

2 Likes

Brilliant! Looking forward to it.

Hi,

here is the video. Hope that is useful to you. The video is unlisted since I recorded this in my laptop, so it’s not recorded in a standard format. My idea is to start a youtube channel using my Desktop and webcam. All feedback is welcome.

Program used: Downloads - DB Browser for SQLite

Webpage to get epoch time: https://www.epochconverter.com/

SQL queries used:

Deleting reviews from deleted cards:

DELETE FROM revlog
WHERE cid IN
(	
	SELECT cid
	FROM revlog
	WHERE cid NOT IN (SELECT id FROM cards)
)

Adding all reviews deleted in the past:

INSERT INTO revlog
SELECT * FROM revlog2
WHERE revlog2.id NOT IN (SELECT id FROM revlog)

Deleting reviews older than 3 years from now:

DELETE FROM revlog
WHERE id < 1501545600000
6 Likes

Please do! I see some great potential. I think your channel will do very well if you cover things like these (getting rid of ghost reviews etc.). If you start covering things that Anki doesn’t normally do (for example by modifying the database just like you did in the video) your channel will flourish in no time.

I assume that you have a good recording software + good microphone on your desktop. As the video had a low volume. But that is not an issue at all, what’s important is the the knowledge that you provide!

As I said earlier, covering workarounds etc will be a very good start. I feel like the normal basic user stuff have already been covered by the other channels, so it would kind of be difficult for you to stand out if you just repeat what they do. Although, I may be wrong.

Covering all these nitty-gritty “advanced” user type of stuff is something very unique. I don’t think anyone has done it before.

You could also take add-on requests (although this may be very daunting and time consuming. But it should not be an issue if you enjoy doing it) and then make videos about how you would create the add-on + some clips of you thinking about ways you would create these add-ons. Does that make sense? Again, this is super unique, and I’m not sure that there are videos covering this field of Anki. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

If you decide to make an official channel, then I wish you all the best dude

1 Like

Hi @guillempalausalva, nice initiative. But even with my computer audio at 100% I can barely listen to you. It would be nice if you could edit the audio track and increase its volume.

https://creatoracademy.youtube.com/page/lesson/sound

3 Likes

The video I uploaded was the RAW version. Audio issue is solved in the Desktop. I appreciate you checking the video. I’d reshoot it in the future.

I downloaded your video and used mkvtoolnix and audition to fix the audio:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pvelWXQBlVbLl1zOnYLQwX6GJR_8kZa5/view?usp=sharing

Can you download it and upload it to your youtube channel?

Before:

After:

The process is quite simple:

1. Download the raw video
  2. Directly open it with Audition (which automatically extracts the audio track)
  3. Run the Amplify and Noise reduction tools
  4. Save the audio track as .mp3 file
  5. Open mkvtoolnix and drag and drop the youtube video into mkvtoolnix window
  6. Unselect the original audio track
  7. Drag and drop the new .mp3 audio exported from Audition
  8. Click on Start multiplexing on the mkvtoolnix interface
  9. The video will be automatically available/exported when the progress bar reaches 100%

This procedure, does not affect the video quality and only changes the audio track.

2 Likes

I am amazed you took the trouble to do that and all the screenshots!
I’ll take note for next time the audio issue happens.

Video with audible voice record will be available here:

2 Likes

Hi, thank you very much for making this video.

I am new to this kind database editing so I think I need to take it slowly; I am worried I will mess up my deck if I do it wrong.

I really look forward to your YouTube channel and other stuff, I think being able to analyse a record of one’s self-study can be highly motivating to some types of learner, and also lead to more effective study strategies, and it would be cool to hear if you have any thoughts on this.

2 Likes