Orienteering decks support thread

Learning orienteering Map Symbols and Control Descriptions is a perfect case for Anki. I assume I’m not the only one to find it a good fit, so sharing a few decks I created a while ago.

I’ll list the decks below, but you can always find them by searching for orienteering. If there’s no results, decks probably haven’t been downloaded for a while and were deleted. In that case, ping me and I’ll restore them.

Happy orienteering!

1 Like

Hi madeofatoms,
I try to open your links for the Orienteering Shared decks, but they are no longer available.
Please, may you restore them?
Thank you a lot!

Hi Andrey,

If there’s any chance you could restore these decks (or email them on) I’d be very grateful!

Thanks,

Jack

Hi,
thank you for your work creating the decks! Unfortunately the links are broken. Can you make the Decks available again?
Thank you very much!

Hi Jack,

Sorry for the wait! I was on a long trip with no access to my decks when received your email and then … well, it took time to get back to it. Anyway, here’s the “first” deck https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/246869398.

Let me know if that helps and if there’s something I can improve.

Hope it’s still relevant to you.

-Andrey

I re-uploaded the decks. Here’s the “first” one (others linked in its description) https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/246869398.

(It says, they will be available after 24 hours, so you may need to wait a little)

Enjoy!

(It says, they will be available after 24 hours, so you may need to wait a little)

Hi,
Somehow missed your request, just seen it, thanks to later replies.
I re-uploaded the decks, but it may take up to 24 hours for them to be made public (or that’s what ankiweb tells me).
Here’s the “first” one (others linked in its description) https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/246869398.

(Update: Ankiweb removes the decks if not downloaded for six months. I re-uploaded the decks again, so they are at new links/ids. Since I couldn’t just update the original description, below is a replacement, original above deleted)

The decks below are based on the most recent standards on the day of creation (somewhere in 2018): ISOM’2017 (for map symbols) and IOF’2018 (for controls).
(Let me know if there are important updates since then, warranting updating the decks).

Each card is shown in two decks.
“Question” (card face) is in both cases a graphical symbol. In case of Control Description, card face also indicate what symbol group (description sheet box) the symbol belongs to.

“Brief” deck only shows the symbol name as an answer (card back).
“Full” deck shows the name and detailed description(*) as an answer.

Essentials and/or not obvious details are highlighted in bold in full descriptions to help with self-assessment of an answer.

(*) Detailed descriptions intended for map users only, no cartography related requirements (element size, footprint, overlap with other elements, etc) included.

All decks:

1. Map Symbols (brief)
  2. Map Symbols (full)
  3. Control Descriptions (brief)
  4. Control Descriptions (full)
  5. Map Symbols + Control Descriptions (brief)
  6. Map Symbols + Control Descriptions (full)

Suggested order of learning:

• Read through all the full descriptions for Map Symbols (deck #2 above) to understand variations, e.g. orchard (open land) vs orchard (rough open land),
  • Learn Map Symbols by names, using “brief” deck (#1),
  • Learn Control Descriptions by names, using “brief” deck (#3),
  • Learn controls and map symbols mixed together (#5) in a single deck to exercise differentiating visual similarities, e.g. boulder on a map and knoll in a control description,
  • Then get back to a full deck (#6) to learn all the details,
  • Go outside and enjoy the run!

Thank you very much for your cards! They are very well made and very helpful. Is it okay for you, if I publish a German translation of your Deck?

Sure! Did you translate it yourself? It’s a lot of work!

Hey could you please restore these links.

(Updated with new links)

I’ve re-uploaded the decks (check updated links in the comment next to yours). Ankiweb claims it may take up to 24 hours for decks to become visible. Enjoy!

There is an inofficial translation available and I added translations for the missing symbols. I uploaded the translated version here: gitlab [dot] com/Ratzupaltuff/orienteering-anki . The Cards still have the english translation available since this is the legally binding wording. Let me know if I should change something

(unfortunately publishing links is forbidden on anki-forums)

1 Like