Help needed installing anki on xubuntu [linux]

This is the important part.

I’m guessing that you’re using xfce because you’re on Xubuntu. I searched for xfce and found a user with the same error as above, but on Debian: Anki 23.12.1 fail to start in Debian 12

Dae linked to this page: Missing Libraries - Anki Manual. It says to launch with QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1 anki to add debug output in order to see which library is missing.

In that user’s case, dae saw that libxcb-icccm.so.4 was missing via the end of the last line starting with Qt debug:

and a search for the required package gave libxcb-icccm4:

I’d still try to follow those steps instead of going straight to installing the package. Try to find a similar error message using QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1 anki and then find out what package provides/owns the missing library.

In case the apt search command shown above doesn’t work for you, I did a few searches. On my OS, the search I’d use is pacman -Qo <missing-library> pacman -F <missing-library> to find which package owns it. This page gives the equivalent in Debian/Ubuntu: pacman/Rosetta - ArchWiki

pacman -Qo equivalents likely incorrect in this case, see edit below
dpkg -S <missing-library>

OR

dlocate <missing-library>

Edit: I tested. libxcb-icccm.so.4 showed up by using pacman -F, not pacman -Qo. So the command in that case would be:

apt-file search <missing-library>

Man pages:
dpkg
dlocate
apt-file

3 Likes