Date Format Inconsistency

Currently the card info screen uses year/month/day for dates while elsewhere in the app (card browser) it is using day/month/year. I suggest using one format instead of multiple.

As an addendum, it would be nice if we could choose how dates should be displayed in the app.

I saw the posts about this elsewhere and wondered if it could be fully developed. It seems like the distinction between different ways of displaying the date must be – where is the date displaying the “Anki” way, and where is the date displaying the “local” way.

For me, in AnkiDroid (version/debug info at end) –

Card Info is YYYY-MM-DD

1. Possibly matches what you report [depends on your character counts and punctuation] :question:
  2. Matches Desktop :white_check_mark:

Card Browser is M/D/YY

1. Does not match what you report (but see #3) :x:

2. Does not match Desktop :x:

3. Matches the localized date format for the device :white_check_mark:

I’m sure you can see where I’m going here – if what you are seeing in the Browser matches your localized date format, then we’ve found the question: What should the AnkiDroid Card Browser be matching?

I’m in favor of all date formats being unified. Since Desktop is exclusively YYYY-MM-DD – that seems like the right direction to go.

But if AnkiDroid wants to diverge, I think it would be reasonable for the dates (across everything in AnkiDroid) to be set based on the localized date format for the device. It doesn’t need to be user customizable, because the device already is.

Version

AnkiDroid Version = 2.18.0 (464cf290cc77c3f2c562cb03b408b78a13be261b)

Backend Version = 0.1.38-anki24.04.1 (24.04.1 ccd9ca1a8309b80bcb50ddc5d99c7ce63440bce9)

Android Version = 9 (SDK 28)

ProductFlavor = play

Manufacturer = Amazon

Model = KFONWI

Hardware = mt8168

Webview User Agent = Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 9; KFONWI Build/PS7321; wv) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/94.0.4606.71 Safari/537.36

ACRA UUID = 7d4c980a-f818-4cde-b15a-8821b44cf70e

FSRS Enabled = true

Crash Reports Enabled = true

Yes I agree. People are more accustomed to what they use in their country. Year/month/day only confuses me so card info screen behaving the same way card browser does is the way to go, in my opinion.