Unable to export .colpkg file

If you’re sure you’re on the latest version and still getting that page, another explanation is that the profile can’t be opened for some reason. You could try restarting your computer in case something has one of the profile’s files open, and then see if the issue persists.

If exporting an apkg of each of your decks in turn works, but a colpkg fails, chances are the issue lies in your media folder. You said there are no big files there, so I’m not sure what the issue might be. Does checking your disk reveal anything? Export function not working - #4 by abdo

So, since I have over 7 thousand cards, it seems that the size factor was the culprit.

I discovered the reason why I am not able to backup my files with images included. They are over the size quota as I have over 7 thousand cards. Is there a way to discover the specific files that have images that are too large? Thanks.

You can check your media files here:
https://docs.ankiweb.net/files.html?#file-locations

If you find very large files, reducing their size won’t hurt.

Also, check this:
https://faqs.ankiweb.net/are-there-limits-on-file-sizes-on-ankiweb.html?#are-there-limits-on-file-sizes-on-ankiweb

3 Likes

What do you mean by “properly”? Could you please explain what you are trying to do in more detail, and exactly what is not working?

About four months ago I mentioned that I could no longer backup my Anki card collection with media included. The backup would progress to a certain point and not go any further. My whole day revolves on studying my cards and creating new cards.

@Gregorio is probably referring to this post they made: Backup unfinished - Anki Desktop - Anki Forums (ankiweb.net)

Indeed, thanks for the link to that thread.

1 Like

Ok, I’ve merged the two threads together and changed the topic so we’re all on the same page.

Your media history seems to indicate you are exporting the .colpkg file into your media folder. I previously asked you about this and you said you tried a different location, but could you please try again, exporting to a location like your desktop?

If you haven’t already done so, I also recommend you use Check Media to delete any unused files in your media folder, such as any colpkg/apkg files that you previously exported into your media folder.

I use check media on a regular basis (it would be nice in the iOS if I did not have to use “check media” and then, after delete files have to return to preference again and have to check media again before being able to empty the trash). At any rate, I use the check media on a regular basis on my iOS devices and in my PC.

BUT returning to the topic of backing up onto a different location, why would this work when I know my database is over the size limit?

Well, while I was waiting for instructions on how to find the media that is putting me over the size limit for allowed backups, I decided to go ahead and backup to another location once again (even though I tried that before without success). First I backed up as directed to the desktop and had success. Then I backed up to a folder I have prepared for Anki backups and I had success again. To say that I am thrilled is the understatement of the year. Many thanks for not giving up on me.

Glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue. Anki has a feature that is supposed to warn you in this situation, but it wasn’t working on Windows - that will be fixed in the next update.