Windows update broke Anki

Hi, guys.
I’m using Anki 1.29. Yesterday, everything was normal. I updated the windows version and today I tried to open the anki.exe but nothing happened as the following gif shows: https://tenor.com/bnGVl.gif

Then, I went to the anki’s directory and opened ‘anki_console.exe’. The app runs, but only with the command prompt (https://prnt.sc/ttx55j).

What I already attempted:

1. Reinstalled all the recent versions after deleting all Anki files in my PC. Only with 1.15 version I could open the program normally.
  2. Reset the computer.
  3. Pressing shift during startup, but nothing happens.

I don’t know if this problem is directly linked with windows update. Furthermore, no error message appeared.

Please, any suggestions? Thanks.

Many users reported this problem. It seems to be caused by a Windows update.
See Anki is not opening

1 Like

I’ve installed the latest Windows 10 updates on two different machines (one using GeForce drivers), but can’t seem to reproduce the problem here. The fact that it suddenly started happening does seem to point to something like a Windows update being the cause.

It’s good to know that the -alternate 32 bit version on Anki’s download site is working as a workaround for now. If anyone has any extra info or notices a particular change that starts/stops the 64 bit builds from working on their machine, please let me know.

1 Like

Vou tentar aqui mano, valeu!! Já tava ficando preocupado.

Deu certo aqui também!
Valeuu!

For me it worked. I uninstalled Anki and donwloaded the last 32 bits version. It had a problem with synchronization but I just checked the database so it worked.

Thank you guys.

I change the shortcut
Target: “C:\Program Files\Anki\anki-console.exe”.
It work.

Last line of console is
“mpv too old for key rebinding”

1 Like

I had the same problem and did exactly the same thing you did and it worked here!

I’ve been using anki for months, and a few days ago when I tried to open the app, the message " Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" appeared and no matter if I clicked yes or no, nothing happens.
I already tried reinstalling the app, run as an administrator, open while holding shift, tried the latest stable version, but it’s the same result, nothing happens and the program won’t open.

Thank you

1 Like

See Windows update broke Anki
This may be related.

It worked! Thank you very much.

I have the same problem.

Any adventurous users who would like to help me get to the bottom of it, please see Standard build won't start

Good morning, I removed ANKI 2.1.26 and installed it again. Do not open. I removed it again and installed 2.1.29 also it won’t open.
Important, erm any version if I activate anki-console.exe inside the folder of ANKI it runs on the black screen of windows w opens. It works normally, but if it closes it does not open. For the ind = training we have the system is in trouble and with no expected return. You have some information about that. I have installed ANKI on other machines, and the problem is the same. On Android phone it works 100%. I look forward to good news.

Please see Windows update broke Anki

Prezado, grato pela informação. De fato a versão de 32 bits está funcionando. A Microsoft soltou uma atualização recente e deve ter sido o causador dos problemas do ANKI 64 bits. Grato pela parceria. Se cuidem por favor.

I’d be great if people could try the latest 64 bit beta version and confirm if it works for them or not. It’s expected to be released as stable in a few days, so should be safe to use.

Pessoal, a solução deste problema foi a instalação da opção 32 bits da versão 2.1.29.

Alguém poderia informar se o problema foi definitivamente corrigido na versão 2.1.30, onde poderemos instalar a opção 64 bits dessa versão?

The 64 bit version of 2.1.30 should work

1 Like

Tried this solution but didn’t work.
Running Windows 20H2.
Tried with both Anki 2.1.37 and 2.1.35 for 32 and 64 bits.

I can see in the Task Manager taht Anki.exe is opened when I click on it, but then after a few seconds it disappears and I don’t get to see any UI at all.

I have no antivirus or so installed.

In the Event Viewer I can see the following:

Faulting application name: anki.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5d24a365
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000
Faulting process id: 0x269c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6da4729bc63ca
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Anki\anki.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 0758f64a-4e75-44d8-90f2-e3d593436bdb
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Any clue what can be the issue and how to fix it?
I have been using Anki for 9 years now, it’s very annoying that I cannot open it…

Thanks beforehand